Gallbladder Disease in San Antonio, TX
Ready to Consult a GI Physician?Find a Provider
What is gallbladder disease?
The gallbladder is an organ in the body that stores and releases bile to aid in digestion. The term gallbladder disease is used to describe a collection of problems and diseases that negatively affect the gallbladder. These conditions include:
- Sclerosing cholangitis: Chronic inflammation and damage to the bile duct system that causes scar tissue to form.
- Biliary dyskinesia: Lower than normal gallbladder function
- Cholecystitis: An inflammation of the gallbladder that is frequently caused by gallstones. Over time, the gallbladder can decrease in size and lose its ability to secrete bile.
- Choledocholithiasis: A condition where a gallstone becomes lodged in the exit route of the gallbladder. If this arises, the gallbladder can become inflamed.
- Gallstones: Hard pieces of material that can occlude the route to the gallbladder and bile ducts.
- Acalculous gallbladder disease: When the gallbladder develops inflammation in the absence of gallstones.
If you have a gallbladder issue like any of the conditions mentioned here, we urge you to have an expert GI specialist guide you through the treatment process. At San Antonio Gastroenterology Associates, we can deliver the care you seek. To get treatment for gallbladder disease in San Antonio, TX, please get in touch with our staff today to request a consultation.
What causes gallbladder disease?
A majority of gallbladder problems derive from the formation of gallstones, which occur when cholesterol and other substances found in liver bile coagulate and form hard, stone-like pieces. You also might have tumors that inhibit the bile from emptying normally, blood vessel concerns, or infection. Regardless of the cause of your gallbladder disease, you can locate professional care at a San Antonio Gastroenterology Associates location near you. We can evaluate your condition and guide you to the appropriate strategy for treatment.
What are the symptoms of gallbladder disease?
The signs and symptoms of gallbladder disease may include:
- Throwing up
- Intense abdominal pain, particularly in the upper right or center portion of the abdomen
- Abdomen is tender to the touch
- Pain that radiates to your right shoulder or back
Should you notice one or more of the gastrointestinal symptoms mentioned above, reach out to a San Antonio Gastroenterology Associates provider without delay to request a consultation.
What are the treatments for gallbladder disease?
The best way to decrease the risk of developing gallstones is to ensure you stay at a healthy weight, reduce your weight steadily if advised, and maintain a healthy lifestyle. Several gallbladder diseases can be diagnosed by a simple ultrasound. At times, your physician may recommend additional imaging scans such as a magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) or a computed tomography (CT) scan. When treatment for gallbladder disease is needed, possible treatments may include:
- Fasting for a certain time period (this can give your inflamed gallbladder time to rest and minimize inflammation)
- Pain relief medication
- Gallbladder removal (cholecystectomy)
- Medications to help dissolve gallstones
If you or a member of your family are seeking treatment for gallbladder disease in San Antonio, TX, our skilled team can help you explore your options.
Trusted gallbladder disease treatment
Gallbladder conditions, such as gallstones, cholecystitis, and biliary dyskinesia, can be detected and addressed by an experienced gastroenterologist at San Antonio Gastroenterology Associates. If you notice troubling symptoms associated with your gastrointestinal tract, then we urge you to contact a skilled gastroenterology specialist in your area so that you can be evaluated for conditions like gallbladder disease. As a physician-led network of GI specialists, our practices are well-equipped with the latest treatment options for people experiencing gallbladder disease. To partner with an expert gastroenterologist who treats gallbladder disease in San Antonio, TX, please reach out to a location in your community today.
I dealt with Travis Holloway to have my d gallbladder removed. I had other issues he was concerned with. He ordered a lot of tests including lab work. The day of surgery even more blood work. His demeanor was very pleasant and he asked a lot of questions. Thoroughly pleased with entire process.
Doctor Otero and his staff provided excellent care to their patients.
Thus -far I am pleased with the care and providers at San Antonio Gastroenterology Associates
Dr. Alvarez is very professional and caring. He explains everything very thoroughly. I very highly recommend him. Thank you Dr. Alvarez for your help and providing the best possible care.