Ernesto Guerra Jr., M.D. began his career as a pharmacist and soon decided he wanted to be on the other side of medicine, quickly transitioning his career towards the new goal. As a result, he completed his Medical Doctorate at the University of California in San Diego and both internship and residency at the University of Texas Health Science Center in San Antonio. During his residency, Dr. Guerra served as Chief Resident of Internal Medicine and discovered his true calling—the subspecialty of gastroenterology.
While completing his Fellowship in Gastroenterology, Dr. Guerra then became fascinated with the innovative and technical nature of the profession. He says, “Looking back, it is amazing what has changed in the field [of gastroenterology] over just the last 20 years.” He then says, “I never thought in my lifetime we would see some of the advancements or cures that have been developed.”
Dr. Guerra is not just a witness to the advancements in GI, but has also been an integral figure in industry changes in San Antonio. Hence him being the founding physician of the SAGA group, pioneering the concept of a freestanding endoscopy center. As a result, opening the first of its kind in downtown San Antonio. “It is one of the most pivotal experiences of my life. It was challenging, and anything we have achieved has been hard won, but we did it to offer better service and a higher quality of care to our patients. And that is still our mission today.”
Furthermore, this mission is one that has led the prestigious group to grow to now eight offices and three endoscopy centers in the San Antonio area. Consequently boasting some of the highest patient satisfaction ratings in the state, as well as exceeding industry quality standards across the nation.
Finally, If you ask Dr. Guerra what he loves about practicing medicine today, he will say, “Patient education. We do a lot for the patients that make it through our doors, but we are always seeking to do even more to reach more people who could benefit from these life-saving procedures.”
Education, Memberships and Affiliations
- Doctor of Medicine, University of California, San Diego, California
- University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas Internship, Residency, Internal Medicine
- University of Texas Health Science Center, San Antonio, Texas, Fellowship, Gastroenterology
- Founding Physician, San Antonio Gastroenterology Associates
- Medical Director, San Antonio Gastroenterology and Endoscopy Center Downtown
- Member, American College of Physicians
- Chair, Medical Executive Committee of San Antonio Gastroenterology Endoscopy Centers
- Member, American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Member, Bexar County Medical Society
We do a lot for the patients that make it through our doors, but we are always seeking to do even more to reach more people who could benefit from these life-saving procedures.